What I work with:
- Depression, stress, anxiety, grief
- Navigating big life changes
- Trauma, including PTSD and Complex Trauma
- Physical illnesses and injuries
- I have a special interest in interpersonal problems, in particular, Narcissistic Abuse, family dysfunction and other forms of bullying and dynamic difficulties.
- I avoid couple therapy but I can work with you individually if you are in, or suspect that you might be in, an abusive relationship.
- I enjoy helping people reach their potential in career and other life goals such as having more authentic and gratifying relationships
Your first session will take 60 minutes. That might sound like a long time, but I am constantly told that it passes very quickly indeed. Expect to feel a bit drained after this session. It’s a good idea if you can plan to do something nice for yourself for an hour or two after the session to clear your mind. The first session will be less about problem-solving and more about getting a really good idea about you and your history, why you are here, and what your goals are. At the end of that time I should be able to provide you with an idea of how I can help, and we can agree upon a plan together.
Subsequent sessions run for 50 minutes. Most people come to therapy roughly once a week for at least the first few sessions and after that might attend fortnightly or so, depending on the issue and how we are progressing. The amount of sessions a person needs varies greatly, depending on how they wish to use therapy and on the kind of changes being made. However, the majority of people are seeing some good improvements after the first few sessions.
The charge per session is $180. If you have a Mental Health Plan from your GP you will be reimbursed $124.50 by Medicare (this is a higher than standard rebate due to my clinical psychology qualifications). Bring your Medicare card, Mental health Plan and a credit card and if you qualify for one, we can have your Medicare refund done on the spot. If you have private health cover, you will also be entitled to a rebate of a different amount, but not in addition to the Medicare refund, and we cannot access this for you.
Unfortunately bulk billed sessions are no longer provided.
***Please Note: Our apologies that Alanda is unable to provide services to those with WorkCover claims or ongoing legal cases.
Services for DVA clients are provided.
Face to Face vs E-Sessions
I have been doing therapy over Skype, Zoom, Facetime, and other similar electronic channels for many years now. People are often surprised at just how effective and personal this can be. In some limited cases Medicare will cover these services. It’s a fantastic option for people who:
- Live far away from our office
- Are unable to drive themselves to appointments
- Have young children and no childcare
- Prefer the privacy of home